Name: Cherry Ann Chiu
Course: Grand Diploma Batch 16
Internship Venue: Park Avenue Desserts
Cherry Ann loved sweets since she was a kid because her mom used to bake for the family and that’s where she got her love for desserts. When she had the chance to choose whether to work in a hot kitchen or a commissary, she didn’t think twice about choosing the pastry kitchen.
Excerpts from her Journal:
Some of her tasks
– Cut plastic used as dividers for pre-sliced cakes and was taught how to insert them.
- Helped in boarding Mango Madness and Cheesecake for starbucks.
- Assisted in cutting cronuts
- Made cream cheese frosting
- Taught by Chef Buddy to make red velvet cupcakes and small cakes how to check doneness.
- Helped line ring molds with aluminum foil
- Iced red velvet cakes
– Assisted Chef Buddy in making the chocolate coated orange peels.
- Baked small red velvet cakes
- Finished concorde with meringue logs
- Garnished blueberry cheesecakes with blueberries
- Assisted in making 4 trays of chocolate sponge
- Assisted in making foccaccia bread
- Assisted in filling ad rounding ensaymadas
“I guess practice really makes perfect. Doing something over and over again is the only way to do it well.”
“I had a conversation with Chef Buddy once. He told me that we may be doing things over and over again, but the most important thing here is when you leave, you take with you the knowledge of the basics in baking which is the most important of all because once you know the basics by heart, learning the more difficult tasks will be a lot easier for you.”
“With all these skills and knowledge that I’ve gained through my schooling and internship with Chef Buddy, I really hope and pray that in the near future, I will be able to start my own business similar to Park Avenue Desserts and become successful with it.”