As promised, here is the recipe that we sampled out to the attendees of AFC Eats Asia 5 Last September 1 in Glorietta.
VIETNAMESE CHICKEN and Glass Noodle SALAD (Y: 12-15 PAX)
200 grams dried rice noodles, soak in water
1.5 pieces Daikon radish, cut into fine julienne
1.5 pieces Carrots, cut into fine julienne
1 piece cucumber, deseeded and cut into fine julienne
3 Tbsp. salt
¾ cup white Sugar
1 cup rice vinegar
1 Kg. Chinese Cabbage, shredded
1.2 Kgs Chicken breasts
6 cloves Garlic, sliced
As needed Salt and pepper
To serve Vietnamese mint, coriander, Thai basil
To serve Spice Roasted Peanuts, chopped
Nouc Cham Sauce (Yield: approximately 3 cups of Dressing)
6 cloves garlic, finely minced
3 pcs red Thai Chilies, minced
2 cups water
8 Tbsp. sugar
¾ cup fish sauce
4 Tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp lime juice
- Simmer water with sliced garlic, salt and ground black pepper. Once water comes to a slow simmer, add chicken breasts and cover well.
- Poach chicken breasts for about 12-15 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken fillet). Turn off heat and cool slightly before removing cooked chicken fillets. Set aside in the chiller to get cold.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pickled vegetables. Combine rice wine vinegar, salt and sugar. Mix until sugar dissolves.
- In a mixing bowl, combine julienne of carrots, radish and cucumber. Toss to mix well and then pour the sugar and vinegar mixture. (This can be done the day before).
- Prepare the Nouc Cham sauce: Combine the garlic, red Thai chilies, sugar, fish sauce, lemon juice and lime juice. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Set aside.
- Chop the chilled chicken fillets into small cubes. Keep chilled.
- To Serve: Make a bed of shredded cabbage then place the cooked rice vermicelli noodles (glass noodles).
- Arrange the pickled vegetables on top and then sprinkle the chopped chicken. Ladle Nouc Cham sauce all over the salad.
- Garnish with fresh herbs (Vietnamese mint, Cilantro and Thai Basil) and Spice roasted nuts.